CABPS Membership Information
Membership in the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons
Membership is open to physicians, surgeons and allied health care professionals who express an interest in the clinical management of obesity or who have a research interest in any aspect of obesity or its related co-morbid diseases.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP IN THE CABPS
- To engage bariatric physicians across Canada in a collaborative effort for the treatment of morbid obesity
- An official voice for bariatric care in Canada
- Access to members only area of CABPS website
- Special Members’ reduced rate to attend CABPS Annual Meeting
- Invitations to other sponsored events
- CABPS e-newsletter
TYPES OF MEMBERSHIP
Active Member (Annual membership Fee: $195)
A person who:
(a) Is a medical practitioner and holds a valid certificate in medicine or surgery with a certificate in good standing from:
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; or
- Le Collège des Médecins du Québec; or
- The American Board of Medicine or Surgery;
- The equivalent thereof acceptable to the Board of Directors, such equivalency must include significant training in general surgery and eligibility for, or possession of, a surgical diploma from some other jurisdiction;
- and has some special interest and training in
- treatment of obesity and severe obesity;
(b) Holds a valid license in good standing to practice medicine in Canada; May apply for active membership in this Association. Active Members shall pay all dues and assessments.
Associate Member (Annual membership Fee: $95)
A person who:
is a post-graduate trainee, currently enrolled in a training program related to the treatment of obesity and severe obesity (e.g. fellows and residents).
- Medical Doctors (Anethesiologists, Emergency Medicine, Critical Care, Others)
- Medical Students in Canadian Medical Schools;
- Accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME);
- The Department Chair or general surgery program director must sign the application; and
- The Department Chair or general surgery program director must submit an accompanying letter verifying that the applicant is a student in good standing in the medical school at the time of application.
Associate members shall pay applicable member dues and assessments and shall not be eligible for voting privileges and shall not be eligible to hold office in the Association.
Affiliate Member (Annual membership Fee: $95)
Any person belonging to the following classification may be admitted as an Affiliate Member following approval by the CABPS Board of Directors:
- Non-Medical Doctors – Masters Degree Scientists and PhDs Scientists
- Office/Business Managers
Allied Health Professionals (Physician Assistants, Registered Nurse First Assistants, Registered
- Nurses, Nutritionists/Dietitians, Kinesiologists, Psychologists, Massage Therapists, and Others)
- Technicians (Medical Radiation Technologist, Certified Surgical Technologist [CST]; Certified Surgical
- Technologists/Certified First Assistants and Others)
You can conveniently join the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons by using our secure server (Visa or Master Card required). To Join CABPS online today, click here , or download our printable Membership Application Form in PDF format by clicking here (PDF).
Need more information?
For more information or to inform a colleague about Membership in CABPS, simply download our Membership Brochure (PDF).